Friday, August 14, 2009

Really Working

Looking around my quilt room this morning, I realized that I had a different project on every surface of my sewing room! Starting with my fabric cabinets, which are piled high with projects in my mind

... to the ironing board which is currently storing my autumn leaf blocks. I need 70 of these blocks for Judy Martin's Autumn Splendor quilt -- I have 4 done so far but I did a lot of sewing on them yesterday. Now they need to be trimmed, pressed, and turned into leaves. The stems are interesting to me as they are dimensional! I take a slim piece of fabric folded in half and put it between two triangles to make the stem. I love working with the autumn fabrics. This project was started at my friend Maureen's cottage up in Quebec last autumn, but got put away when the holidays rolled around. Maybe I'll have an autumn quilt this year!


Hanging from the door of one of the fabric cabinets is the center block for The Quilt Show beautiful block of the month. This is the first time I've done a feathered star and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Now I'm working on the first round of borders for it. All the fabrics for this project are coming out of my stash, so I feel like I'm achieving some of my goal to reduce the amount of fabric I've been hoarding.

Another of my favorite projects is a radiating star quilt done in reds and creams. Now this one has been a bit of a challenge for me, in that I had to graph it before I could start sewing. Maureen finished one up at the cottage last fall and I just fell in love with it. I asked her if she had the pattern as it is so striking ... and she handed me four 2" squares of graph paper and told me that somehow they made up this queen sized quilt. Yes, I did spit my coffee out laughing! But I brought the little squares home and twisted and turned them every which way to no avail. So finally I sat with my own graph paper and little by little I think I've got the pattern ... here's the upper right hand corner completed ...

I'll let you know of all my progress!

0 comments:

Post a Comment